Sharebar?

object element in itembody clarification

can object contain a qti xml document

Hello,

Having a QTI xml within the object of a QTI xml item is a format that is being proposed for an import. The purpose of this is, as Wilbert suggested, a means of sharing information between different items. I wanted to verify that this format was within the QTI specification. It seems it is, but that it is discouraged. I will pass along Wilbert's recommendation to restrict the use of HTML object to purely presentational material such as pure HTML or Flash objects and the like.

thank you,
Sari

Hello Sari

I'm guessing that what you want to do is share the same material between different items.

If that's the case, html object can, in principle, be used to bring in any sort of material into an itembody, including other QTI XML. However, that imported QTI XML would be opaque to the rendering engine- it'd have no way to know that there are, for example, printed variables or interactions in the QTI that has been imported via <object>. For that reason, I'd restrict the use of HTML object to purely presentational material such as pure HTML or Flash objects and the like.

Better yet, you can use rubricBlock at the section level to easily share runs of presentational material between different items.

As Sue says, though: have a look at the latest examples and XSD to determine what's possible.

Cheers

Can you please clarify if an object element in the itembody section of a qti item can link to another qti xml file?
thank you,
Sari

I was just looking at the imsqti_v2p1.dtd and if I am reading this correctly the object element can contain either PCDATA or items listed in objectFlow.ElementGroup, in which itemBody is not part of that group. I believe this restriction would apply to the "data" attribute of the <object> element. Therefore, a data attribute link to a qti xml file that contains elements not defined in the objectFlow.ElementGroup are not acceptable.
I think I answered my own question, but would like confirmation, please.
thank you,
Sari