Sharebar?

Proctoring Services specification

Proctoring Services specification

I notice that some systems have announced that they are now certified for this specification but that the only version I have found is a candidate final. Will a final version of this specification be released soon? Have there been any significant changes since the candidate final version was published in July 2019?

In the candidate final version, I notice that an Assessment Control service request message includes the issuer identifier within the user parameter. Is this being included because you foresee cases where this could be different from the value associated with the access token being used to authorise the request? Other services, such as the Score and Result services, do not include the issuer identifier in their payloads, just the user identifier issued by the platform. Please could someone elaborate on the rationale for including the issuer identifier in the case of the Assessment Control service. Thanks.

mmckell's picture

proctoring updates

A final version of the spec will be released when multiple platforms and tools have passed the certification tests, still a work in progress. Minor changes, corrections and clarifications have been made, some in the last few weeks (see the Revision History for specifics).

To your other question about issuer, that was an error in the example which has now been corrected. Thanks!

Re: proctoring updates

Thanks Mark. In that case, it seems confusing for the IMS website to list the systems which have been certfiied, and for members to advertise that they are certified, when the spec has not been released as a public, final version and the certification tests finalised.

Thanks for clarifying the issuer confusion; I assume you are aware that this correction has not yet made it into the publicly available version of the spec at https://www.imsglobal.org/spec/proctoring/v1p0. Perhaps other corrections are also missing from this version.

If this spec is not yet finalised, I would like to comment on the naming of the messages which I found inconsistent. The platform sends an LtiStartProctoring message to the Proctoring system, which responds with an LtiStartAssessment when it is ready. Finally the platform sends an LtiEndAssessment message to the Proctoring system once the assessment is complete. This last message seems misnamed to me and a name of LtiEndProctoring would be more consistent: the platform sends messages to the Proctoring system to start and end the proctoring, it is not asking the Proctoring system to end the assessment (which the platform controls), it is asking the Proctoring system to end the proctoring. Anyway, just a suggestion which is probably too late to be useful.

Re: proctoring updates

Just thought I'd clarify my enquiry about the issuer identifier in the Assessment Control service request message. At present the spec shows a user claim being included like this:

"user" : {
"iss" : "https://assessment.org",
"sub": "2047534b3cc6d7086909"
}

Since the iss value should be obvious from the access token used to authorise the request, I did not understand the need to repeat it here. I had expected a simple sub claim like this:

"user" : {
}

or perhaps just this:

Is there a reason for including the iss value in the request payload?

Thanks.