Sharebar?

Test 3.1: Launch as an Instructor

Test 3.1: Launch as an Instructor

Test 3.1 in the test suite is described as "A launch is made from context ID con-182 by user ID 123456 with an Instructor role and for whom all the personal information parameters are specified." However, the request does not actually contain any roles. Below I duplicated the request body as specified on the test page:

custom_person_email_primary=jane@school.edu
custom_person_name_family=Lastname
custom_person_name_given=Jane
custom_user_id=123456
launch_presentation_document_target=window
launch_presentation_return_url=https://www.imsglobal.org/lti/cert/tp_return.php/basic-lti-launch-request
lis_person_contact_email_primary=jane@school.edu
lis_person_name_family=Lastname
lis_person_name_given=Jane
lti_message_type=basic-lti-launch-request
lti_version=LTI-2p0
oauth_callback=about:blank
oauth_consumer_key=5953af34477367.57358783
oauth_nonce=3762fff31a046d027edcd1c11079756d
oauth_signature=fGFiPETFgLbIWluLexdzVfwzVHA=
oauth_signature_method=HMAC-SHA1
oauth_timestamp=1498664008
oauth_version=1.0
resource_link_id=rli-1234
user_id=123456

Re Test 3.1: Launch as an Instructor

I logged the request our server is receiving from this test and confirmed that we are indeed not receiving the user's role. Also, we discussed in previous threads how a teacher is allowed to add custom parameters to a link for a launch request; however, if I specify LTI 2.0 for the test suite, the form for specifying custom parameters is disabled and the individual tests do not allow me to specify custom parameters. Without these custom parameters, I cannot guarantee a successful launch of our platform.

StephenVickers's picture

Re: Re Test 3.1: Launch as an Instructor

Since you are running the tests as an LTI 2.0 tool provider, the most likely reason for this is that you did not request the roles parameter to be passed in a launch message.  The test merely asks you to ensure that your response to the launch request is appropriate for a user who is an instructor.  If you need the role in order to make the appropriate response, you should include it in yout tool proxy.

I will be fixing the inability to add custom parameters for LTI 2 launches in a new release of the suite which I hope will be available within 2 weeks.  Contact me offline (svickers@imsglobal.org) if you would like your system tested sooner than this and I can work with you on this.  My apologies for the inconvenience this is causing.

Re: Re Test 3.1: Launch as an Instructor

Ok, that makes sense about requesting the role in the Tool Proxy; however, I thought the role was a standard field (specifically roles) for all LTI messages as per Section 4.1 in the specifications, albeit optional. Does the Membership.role LIS variable behave the same way as described by the roles field described in section 4.1?

StephenVickers's picture

Re Test 3.1: Launch as an Instructor

Yes, including Membership.role as an enabled capability should cause the roles parameter to be passed in the message.